Looking for some pre- or post-feast activities today? Here are some ways to build up an appetite, keep the kids busy while the bird cooks at home (with someone staying behind to watch it, of course), and/or walk and play off all the turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Visit a Smithsonian museum or the National Zoo. They are all open today from 10am – 5:30pm, except for the American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery which are open 11:30am – 7pm. The National Gallery of Art is open today, too, from 10am – 5pm.
- Experience Season’s Greenings at the U.S. Botanic Garden on opening day!
- Glide in the fresh air at the new Canal Park Ice Rink (open 11am – 9pm), the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink (open 10am – 5pm), the Pentagon Row Ice Rink (open 10am – 11pm), the Silver Spring Outdoor Ice Rink (open 12-10pm), or the Reston Town Center Ice Rink (open 10am -10pm). Links to all of them can be found here.
- Take a hike and do some late fall leaf-peeping. Rock Creek Park, Great Falls, Roosevelt Island, and the National Arboretum are great places to hit the trail and enjoy the last of autumn colors around DC.
- Dance off the turkey at the Kennedy Center. This evening’s free Millennium Stage performance features a swing dance party with Doc Scantlin’s Palmettos. The show begins at 6pm, but free swing lessons are at 5pm!
- Enjoy an evening light display at one of several in the area that are already welcome guests to view them.